The Manitowoc Public Library Board of Trustees seeks to balance the constitutional rights of citizens and organizations with the rights of the library customers and staff when using public space.
Petitioning, soliciting and distributing literature is permitted in the Manitowoc Public Library entry ways, under the guidelines listed below.
- Such activities cannot block, hinder, intimidate or interfere with patrons or staff accessing the library entrances or services.
- No leafleting, distribution of literature or solicitation for commercial or fundraising purposes is permitted.
- Anyone wishing to solicit signatures for a petition or leaflet must inform the Library Administrative office during normal business hours (9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday) or their desire and intent to solicit signatures for a petition at least 48 hours in advance.
- Library administration shall designate and limit the space for the petitioner by including one table and two chairs.
- Library administration may limit number of occurrences for petitioner in a specific time period.
- A single sign with no images limited to 8 1/2 x 11 inches is permitted.
Any person who does not abide by the conditions stated above or creates a nuisance such that the regular business of the Library is disrupted shall be required to immediately cease all activities relating to solicitation for a petition or leafleting and to leave the Library premises immediately.