This new library service was made possible by a grant from the Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA) fund and the Manitowoc Public Library Foundation, and awarded to the Wisconsin DPI by the Federal Institute of Museum and Library Services. The new space is a fully equipped technology lab that is available for community members to create digital content.
The space and equipment will be available for exploration and creation of business logos, musical expressions and recordings, digital illustration, movie making, and technology education.
- 27″ iMac Workstations
- Audio Recording Studio
- Video Recording Studio
- 3D Printer
- Audio Mixers
- Studio Headphones
- Professional-Grade Microphones
- Final Cut Pro
- Logic Pro X
- Adobe Photoshop and Premiere Elements
- Autodesk 123D
- Studio One Artist
Proper use of the internet in the Creation Room is covered by MPL’s Internet Acceptable Use Policy.
3D Printer Rules and Procedures
The Library’s 3D printer is available for Manitowoc Public Library patrons to create three-dimensional, plastic objects. These objects are designed using computer software outlined in the PROCEDURES section. Patrons must have a valid Manitowoc Public Library card to use this service.
I. Patrons are permitted to use the Library’s 3D printer to create objects that comply with local, state and federal law as well as all other Library policies. Patrons may not create objects that are:
- Dangerous or pose a threat to others. (Guns, knives, parts for weapons, etc.)
- Sexually explicit, obscene, or inappropriate for the Library environment
- Copyrighted or otherwise protected by a patent or trademark
- For commercial use
II. All submitted designs are subject to review by Library staff.
- Designs may be rejected if they do not comply with Section I of this document. The patron will be informed by email or telephone.
- Designs may be rejected if they are not capable of production. If this is the case, the patron will be informed by email or telephone of the problem(s) and change(s) needed to make the design printable.
III. Cost: Thanks to the LSTA grant, 3D printing is free of charge at this time. However, the Library reserves the right to begin charging for 3D printing at any time. Patrons will be notified of any and all changes to the cost of printing.
IV. Only designated, trained Library staff will be able to print objects. Demonstrations will be provided to the public to showcase the 3D printer.
Requesting a Print
I. Design Creation
- The Library recommends the use of 123D, TinkerCad and Thingaverse to design or download objects.
- Files must be submitted in the .stl, .obj, .makerbot or .thing format.
- Creation Room computers may be used to design objects using free software.
II. Submitting a Design
- Fill out the form located here and attach your files.
- Please direct any questions and concerns to MPL’s IT Technician Jason Kunde via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org
- When a print is complete, the patron will be notified.
III. Print Time: On average, a design can take 1 – 3 hours to print. Depending on your place in the print queue, it may take up to 2 weeks to receive your printed object.
IV. The Rules and Procedures for 3D printing at Manitowoc Public Library are subject to change.