by Laura Schreiner, Materials Management/ILL Associate
A new year means a new chapter…. and your friends at Manitowoc Public Library are eager to help make 2022 an incredible part of your story! We have oodles of entertaining and informative events and programs slated for the New Year—including our “Book & a Movie” series, which we are delighted to revive after an absence of nearly two years.
In its prior incarnation, the “Book & a Movie” program was very popular among a devoted group of attendees—it’s an affordable “date night” option, as well as a chance to gather with family and friends. We show a wide variety of films to a friendly and enthusiastic audience.
Here’s a quick rundown of how “Book and a Movie” works:
- On the third Monday of the month, films are shown—free of charge!—at Lakeshore Cinema, 1118 Washington Street, Manitowoc. Showtime is 6:30 PM with the theater opening about half an hour prior to the start time. Refreshments are available for purchase . . . and again, please remember there is no admission if you simply wish to sit back and watch a good movie!
- Books on which the movie is based are available for checkout at Manitowoc Public Library. Library staff also brings a supply of books for the next month’s movie to the theater and will check them out to interested patrons. Books from the current movie may also be returned to MPL staff at the theater.
- If you wish to remain after the film’s ending to discuss the book and/or movie, you are welcome to do so. You are not required to read the book or to participate in the informal discussion, so there’s no pressure to do more than come and enjoy the movie-going experience. Did I mention that watching the movie is absolutely free of charge!?
And now, without further ado, here is the 2022 lineup of films:
- January 17—“Where’d You Go Bernadette,” a 2019 film starring Cate Blanchett and based on the very popular book by Maria Semple. The movie is the story of Bernadette Fox, a loving mom who becomes compelled to reconnect with her creative passions after years of sacrificing herself for her family. Bernadette’s leap of faith takes her on an epic adventure that jumpstarts her life and leads to her triumphant rediscovery. Books are currently available at MPL.
- February 21—“The Scent of Rain and Lightning,” book by Nancy Pickard
- March 21—“News of the World,“ book by Paulette Jiles
- April 18—“Little Women” (2020 release), book by Louisa May Alcott
- May 16—“The One and Only Ivan,” book by Katherine Applegate
The series breaks for the summer months, thus no films are scheduled for June, July and August
- September 19—“Just Mercy,” book by Bryan Stevenson
- October 17—“The Woman in the Window,” book by A.J. Finn
- November 21—“True Grit (2011 release), book by Charles Portis
- December 19—“Christmas with the Kranks” (based on John Grisham’s “Skipping Christmas”)
We are super excited to share these books and movies with you. Please come join us for some great movies—bring your friends or meet new ones! We can’t wait to be part of your story in 2022 . . . and beyond!