In keeping with its mission to enrich, connect, and inspire, Manitowoc Public Library is committed to providing excellent customer service in a safe and inviting atmosphere conducive to the use of library spaces and resources. Staff and library patrons share responsibility to ensure this atmosphere is maintained at all times. The following guidelines are set forth to define those behaviors and activities that are not allowed on library property. These rules shall apply to interior, exterior, and all grounds controlled and operated by Manitowoc Public Library.
In addition, this policy covers all digital services and sites as operated by Manitowoc Public Library. The purpose of these sites, including social media, is to provide information about Manitowoc Public Library services and programs, as well as other information that is of public interest to residents, businesses and visitors. We encourage you to submit your questions, comments, and concerns, but please note this is a moderated online discussion site and not a public forum.
Library staff will enforce these guidelines in a consistent and impartial manner.
The following behaviors and activities are examples of conduct not allowed on Library property:
- All illegal activities
- Damaging, defacing, destroying, or stealing library property
- Carrying, consuming, and/or being under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Engaging in conduct that disrupts or interferes with the normal operation of the library or disturbs library staff or patrons, including but not limited to: conduct that involves the use of abusive or threatening language or gestures; conduct that creates unreasonable noise; conduct that consists of loud or rowdy physical behavior or talking; or behavior that a reasonable person would find to be disruptive, harassing, or threatening in nature, including stalking, prolonged staring, or following another with the intent to annoy
- Panhandling or soliciting unless authorized by staff (see Programs, Displays, and Brochures (public posting) Policy)
- Bringing in personal items of an excessive size or quantity, such as shopping carts, garbage bags, or large pieces of luggage; blocking of aisles, seating, shelves, or any thoroughfare with personal items; or leaving personal items unattended at any time
- Using library restroom facilities for inappropriate purposes such as loitering, bathing, etc.
- Smoking or use of electronic smoking devices in the library building and within 25 ft. of the main entrance outside the building
- Loitering, sleeping, or interfering with free access to the building, library materials, and/or library services
- Using cell phones, audio, or personal equipment in a manner that disturbs others or interferes with library use and service
- Violating computer use policies (see Public Use of Computers Policy)
- Bringing animals into the library except for persons with disabilities as defined by the ADA Act or as allowed by a Manitowoc Public Library approved event
- Leaving children unattended as outlined in Lost or Unattended Minor Policy
- Trespassing on library property during a period in which you are banned
- Entering the building not fully clothed including, but not limited to, a lack of a shirt or other covering of the upper body, a lack of shoes or other footwear, and/or having other exposed body areas not fit for a public setting
- Wearing an article of clothing or an object, such as hats/hoodies, that affects the security and safety of patrons and/or library staff
- Having bodily hygiene so lacking as to constitute a nuisance, a health hazard, or an impediment to other members of the public or to library staff
- Disobeying direction by a library staff member
- Consuming food or drink that creates a nuisance because of odor, garbage, or spills
- Using wheeled vehicles such as roller blades, skateboards, and/or similar objects in the library or on library property
- Inappropriate displays of public affection
- Using library materials, equipment, furniture, fixtures, or building/grounds in a manner inconsistent with its intended use
- Any of the following activities on digital media platforms:
- Vulgar language;
- Personal attacks of any kind;
- Comments or content that promotes, fosters, or perpetuates discrimination on the basis of race, creed, color, age, religion, gender, marital status, genetics, status with regard to public assistance, national origin, physical or intellectual disability or sexual orientation;
- Spam or links to other sites;
- Discussion not relevant to topic;
- Advocates illegal activity;
- Promote particular services, products, or political organizations or causes;
- Infringe on copyrights or trademarks;
- Personally identifiable medical information; or
Information that may compromise the safety, security or proceedings of public systems or any criminal or civil investigations.
Consequences of Violating this Policy
Anyone who disregards the above-listed prohibited behaviors or engages in any other conduct deemed inappropriate by library staff is subject to removal from library property and/or restriction of library privileges. Manitowoc Public Library reserves the right to delete posts/comments/submissions/etc. on any digital platform on which Manitowoc Public Library operates. The Library will keep an archive of any content removed from these sites. Violations of the Manitowoc Public Library Code of Conduct Policy may also result in a formal banning from Manitowoc Public Library and/or criminal prosecution. Patrons may appeal the decision of library staff by contacting the Library Director and/or the Manitowoc Public Library Board of Trustees.
Board Approved 07/24/2017