Want to use equipment or tools in the Idea Box? There are a few ways to do so: participate in a class or anytime during library hours after having completed a badging assessment. See the Events Calendar for sessions and classes. Badging sessions will be added in the coming weeks.
General Requirements for Equipment Use
- Must be 13 years of age or older (see age requirements below)
- Valid library card*
- Signed liability waiver (forms available at Service Desks)
- Completion of Badging Assessments for use of equipment outside of scheduled classes
- Stop by a first floor service desk to check equipment availability and to checkout a badge (see equipment list below about reservation requirements for select tools)
The Idea Box is intended for use by adults and teens. Although library visitors of any age may enter the room, equipment and tools are meant for adult and teen use. Some equipment is restricted to users 18 years of age and older (see Badging Assessments) per manufacturer recommendations and safety requirements.
Minor children 13 to 17 years of age who wish to use equipment and tools rated for use by teens must have a parent or legal guardian present to sign the liability waiver. In addition, a parent or legal guardian must be present during badging assessments, which are required for independent equipment use outside of classes
Those who wish to use Idea Box equipment independently from scheduled classes must have a valid library card in good standing (no fines exceeding $9.99 and no blocks on card).
Anyone eligible to use equipment in the Idea Box must complete an Idea Box Waiver. This is a one-time requirement. The liability waiver covers use of all equipment in the Idea Box. However, badging assessment completion is still required for independent use of equipment.
Badging is the training process to independently use Idea Box equipment that requires special training due to the complexity of the equipment or potential hazards associated with its use. Various library staff will be trained to administer badging assessments. These badging assessments will primarily take place at registration-based events in the Idea Box. On-demand, individual badging is not typically available. The following equipment requires completion of the badging process for use outside of scheduled classes:
- 3Doodler Pens (ages 14+)
- Sewing Machines (ages 13+)
- Cricut Maker (ages 18+) - Reservation Required
- Cricut EasyPress (ages 18+)
- 3D Printer (ages 16+) - Reservation Required
- Glow Forge (ages 18+) - Reservation Required
- Sound Booth (ages 18+) - Reservation Required
*Valid library card must be up to date (not expired, no blocks, no fines in above $9.99).
Badging is the training process to independently use Idea Box equipment that requires special training due to the complexity of the equipment or potential hazards associated with its use. Various library staff will be trained to administer badging assessments. These badging assessments will primarily take place at registration-based events in the Idea Box. On-demand, individual badging is not typically available. The following equipment requires completion of the badging process for use outside of scheduled classes and Open Tech Play sessions. Click on links to view badging assessments and instructional resources.
Checking Out Badges
When a user has completed a badging assessment and wishes to independently use equipment, they may checkout a badge. Users may only checkout badges for equipment for which they have passed a badging assessment. Each piece of equipment has a corresponding badge with a unique color. The badge must be worn at all times when in the Idea Box. Checking out a badge means the user is checking out the associated equipment and/or kit, with all its related costs.
- To checkout a badge, a user’s account must be in good standing (fines below $9.99, no blocks)
- Badges checkout for a minimum time period of 2 hours
- At the end of the loan period, badges and all corresponding equipment must be returned to a service desk
- All projects must be completed and materials returned no later than 30 minutes prior to the Library closing
- A user may be billed for incomplete or damaged equipment
- Badges do not accrue overdue fines
- No badges may be checked out during scheduled library programs in the Idea Box
Use of select equipment in the Idea Box requires a reservation in addition to user badging. To make a reservation, a user must either call 920-686-3010 or stop by a first floor service desk. Equipment reservations are two to four hours. Users may only schedule one reservation at a time. Equipment is not reservable during Idea Box classes or events. Users who fail to show up for their reservation will be considered a no-show after 30 minutes, unless they contact staff.
Classes and badging sessions will appear on the Events Calendar as they’re scheduled. Sessions are limited in space and require registration to attend.
Use of equipment in the Idea Box is free! However, users are responsible for providing their own consumable materials to use with equipment, or purchasing approved consumable materials from the Library at cost. More information coming soon.
- 3Doodler Plastic – $.30 per stick
- Sewing Machine Bobbin – $.50 each
- 3D Printer Plastic – $.10 per gram used
- Glowforge Materials – Coming Soon
Equipment to Use in the Library
Build and create with a 3D printer pen, an easy-to-use high tech toy for teens and adults. This simple device heats and extrudes plastic with the push of a button. Reservation required. Learn more about using Idea Box equipment.
Age Requirement: 14+
24" Apple iMacs running the newest OS & loaded with professional graphic design, sound, and video editing software. Reservation required - coming soon! Learn more about using Idea Box equipment.
Age Requirement: 13+
The ultimate smart cutting machine for creating any project on your wish list. Reservation required. Coming soon!
Age Requirement: 18+