The mission of the Manitowoc Public Library is to promote a culture of reading and to provide access to information. Through our services we strive to foster an environment that meets the educational, recreational and cultural needs of the community.
This formal policy serves as a guideline for the following purposes:
- Support the mission of the Library
- Guides the staff as they select material, manage material and allocate budgets
- Informs the public of the principles used to select and deselect library material
- Serves as a public declaration of Manitowoc Public Library’s support for the American Library Association’s Library Bill of Rights and Freedom to Read statements
Responsibility for Selection
The Library Director is responsible for the selection of library materials and, under his/her direction, this
responsibility may be delegated to staff who are qualified for this activity by reason of education,
training, and experience. Suggestions from the public are encouraged and seriously considered in the
General Selection Criteria
One or more of the following criteria may be used to determine whether or not an item should be
added to the library’s collection:
- Suitability of subject and relationship to mission
- Relevance to community needs
- Authority and significance of the author/creator
- Current appeal and popular demand
- Suitability and quality of format
- Comparison of existing material on the same subject
- Accessibility of material in the resource sharing system
- Cost of material
The following principles will be considered in withdrawing materials: physical condition, currency of information, availability, permanent value, user demand, and space available. Gifts and memorial items are subject to this maintenance policy.
Gifts of Library Materials
The Manitowoc Public Library Board recognizes that a gift to the library is a gift to the community.
Therefore, gifts are both welcomed and encouraged. Gift materials are subject to the Manitowoc Public Library Collection Development Policy.
Request for Reconsideration
Citizens wishing to comment on the appropriateness of a specific item in the collection may complete a
form Request for Reconsideration and submit to the Library Director. The director will make a written response to the patron. If not satisfied, the patron may appeal to the Manitowoc Public Library Board of Trustees, which makes the final decision.
Board Approved 4/28/2014