What Is It?
In 2017, Manitowoc Public Library partnered with the Manitowoc Public School District to introduce Virtual Library Cards. These Virtual Library Cards allowed all students and staff within MPSD access to a wide range of digital resources offered by the Library. In 2018, the Virtual Library Card program expanded into some of the private schools within the area.
What Can It Do?
Regardless of whether or not you have a personal library card, or if that card is blocked for any reason, these Virtual Library Cards will allow students to access online databases, check out ebooks and digital magazines (not physical ones, though), and use the public computers at the library.
How Will It Work?
What is my Virtual Library Card number then? The Virtual Library Card is based on the student’s school ID with a predefined set of numbers in front of it and it must be 14 digits in length. The outline of what the numbers look like based on each school (or district) is listed below, along with what the PIN is. For example, say you are part of the Manitowoc Public School District and your student ID is 999999, your Virtual Library Card number would be 12345000999999 (the 0’s get added between the prefix 12345 and the student’s ID, 999999, to make a 14 digit number), and your PIN would be your PersonID from Infinite Campus.
Not sure what a Virtual Library Card can do for your school? Want to learn about all the resources your Virtual Card can access? If you would like to set up a training session for your staff or for your students, please contact Julia Lee at firstname.lastname@example.org. Training sessions last between 30-45 minutes and will empower students and staff to utilize all the free resources Manitowoc Public Library has to offer!
Tutor.com (free online tutoring/homework help)
Tumblebooks (free kids ebooks and audiobooks)
Overdrive (free ebooks and audiobooks for all ages)
RBDigital (free digital magazines)
Gale Courses (free online classes)
Mango Languages (learn a new language online for free)
Virtual Library Card breakdown by school
- Manitowoc Public School District: 1 2 3 4 5 _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ PIN is PersonID on Infinite Campus
- Bethany Lutheran: 1 2 3 4 5 2 2 _ _ _ _ _ _ _ PIN is the last 4 of parent’s phone number
- First German: 1 2 3 4 5 4 _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ PIN is last four digits of home phone number
- Immanuel Lutheran: 1 2 3 4 5 3 _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ PIN is birth month and day
- Lutheran High School: 1 2 3 4 5 1 _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ PIN is student’s lunch code
- Mishicot School District: 1 2 3 4 5 9 _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ PIN is birth month and year
- Roncalli: 1 2 3 4 5 6 _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ PIN is the last 4 digits of Roncalli ID #
- St. John’s Lutheran: 1 2 3 4 5 5 _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ PIN is student ID for Chromebooks
- Valders: 1 2 3 4 5 7 _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ PIN is the last 4 digits of the Student ID #
If your school is not on the list and would like to participate in the Virtual Library Card Program, please contact Kristin Stoeger @ email@example.com